Friday, September 21, 2012

Designing the New Digs: Repurposing & Reupholstering

While I already have a house full of furniture, I'm trying to be selective when buying new pieces. And more importantly, I'm trying to be very resourceful with repurposing some things I've had, but have grown a little tired of.  One way to breath new life into a piece of furniture is reupholstering.  When you invest in good, classic items that stand the test of time it's worth putting the money into reinventing them.
My sofa, for example, has served me well for about five years.  I still love the lines and style but the chocolate brown velvet upholstery is not quite the direction I'm going for in the new house.  I plan on giving it a refreshed look with either a white or neutral linen fabric.
Petunia & Gigi both insisted on getting in the shot

Another item I plan to repurpose in this white leather parson console.
I'm going to have a "slipcover" made for it like the ones below.
images via my pinterest
I actually still love the simple parson console, but the room I plan on using it in will already have a console or two and I don't want it to look too redundant.  It will also serve the purpose of hiding TV equipment as we plan to mount our television over it.  

This great little vintage bench is looking a little tired with the existing upholstery.
 I have a leopard printed cowhide that will look amazing on it!

I've been on the hunt for outdoor furniture since before we closed on the house.  Unfortunately, because of the time of year (end of summer) the options are very limited.  I eventually stumbled upon these great outdoor loveseats for an incredible price!  My original cabana inspiration board has been slightly revised from 1 love seat and 2 chairs to 2 loveseats but I think it will still work great.  The only issue is the color of the upholstery, but since the price was so good I couldn't pass them up.  While these are not pieces that I've owned for awhile, I still plan on giving them an immediate face lift with white Sunbrella fabric.  They will look great with the palm leaf pillows I just purchased!

So here is my first of many reupholstering projects.  I purchased this petite lucite waterfall coffee table several years ago and had a custom cushion made for it in David Hicks La Fiorentina fabric.  This has always been one of my favorite fabrics and I'm sad to see it go, but now that I'm married I'm trying to tone down the "girly" in our new house.
Before

I found this amazing plush, subtle spotted fabric and was eager to find something to use it on.  I decided it it would be perfect for my lucite bench transformation! It's hard to tell in the photos but the fabric is luscious in person!
After
Gorgeous plush, velvety spotted fabric

With all these projects (and more...headboard, chairs, etc...) it looks like I'll be single handedly keep my upholsterer in business!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the new house, so excited for you guys! I know you will make it SO beautiful!! xo, Karly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...