Friday, July 6, 2012

The Nursery Diaries Part Three: Oh How the Mood (Board) Changes

You might recall in The Nursery Diaries Part One I mentioned that I was having a conflict choosing the ultimate direction of the nursery.  Even though I'm not one for themes per se, my initial moodboard was a little all over the place:  Beach Theme? Safari Animals? Bohemian? I want it all!!!

Overall, my biggest source of design inspiration continues to be the natural surroundings here in South Florida.   This was confirmed the more I sought out inspiration for our nursery.  So some changes had to be made.  I said goodbye to the adorable safari babies that I thought I would hang over the crib, and will replace them with this Coney Island Beach Print that is full of the most beautiful turquoise and aqua colors.  This photograph will really bring that pop of color his room needs.  Plus, this is a print I purchased about a year ago, and had yet to frame it because I was unsure of where it would hang.  Bonus points for not needing to buy something new!

The Original


Take Two


We love the idea of the vintage sailfish over the sofa, but have also bounced around the idea of designing a surfboard that can be used as wall art now, and as his first board when he is ready to become a little sufer dude later on.  I think there is really something special about buying the first board he will use during his birth year, even if it won't be used for years to come.  It might just be the ultimate accessory for a South Florida, beach-themed nursery!

Where We Now Stand



So a beach direction we will go, using the colors of the ocean, a surf board, crabs and other tropical fish.  And because I can't completely commit to one theme, I have taken (yet) another cue from Rachel Zoe, and ordered this amazing giant stuffed giraffe to tower over the corner of our little man's room. For some bohemian flair, I've kept the Moroccan poufs (another great way to add color) and the lucky elephant garden stool, but may be incorporating elephants in a different way as I come across other good finds.  Remeber this great pair of ceramic elephants from our Palm Beach Regency post:
Wouldn't these make amazing bookends on the lucite shelves?!

Ok, so maybe I've still managed to have it all.  But I do think we have a better overall direction.  I have also swapped out the blanket, which I will tell you more about along with my fabric and bedding choices a little later on!

3 comments:

Natalie, Matt & Baby Ryan said...

can you please just come over and do ours too, while you're at it? ;)

Unknown said...

I LOVE THE BEACH PRINT!!! This is going to be the coolest baby room! :)

Dawn said...

Babies First Board .... I LOVE IT !!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...